“Social media is here; It’s not going away; it’s not a passing fad.”
– Lori Ruff, social media influencer.
According to Hootsuite, there are over 3 billion internet users and 2 billion of them actively use social media. So why is there hesitation from some businesses to embrace it? Lindsey Wreggelsworth, Product Marketing Manager for Commercial Web Services says businesses’ resistance to developing a social presence is due to 3 common misconceptions:
Misconception #1 – Our Target Audience Isn’t on Social Media.
This misconception couldn’t be any further from the truth. Pew Research shows that 75% of adult males living in the United States are on Facebook. Is your customer aged 30-49? Well, that’s 84% of those males; and if they are aged 50-64, that’s 72%. I know we are throwing a lot of statistics at you, about age and gender, but if all of these customers are not geographically in your area what’s the point. 77% live in suburbia, 81% in the deep woods and 81% in the big city. These stats are game changers. No matter male or female, young or old, or where they live, chances are your customer is on social media and you need to be there too.
Misconception #2 – Our Followers Aren’t Customers
When making a purchase decision, have you ever relied on reviews? According to Sprout Social “3 out of 4 buyers rely on some type of social media when it comes to making purchasing decisions”. With an estimated 309,000 contractors utilizing Facebook in the United States, if just a small percentage of these users rely on social media to influence their purchases, these potential followers could easily turn into actual customers.
Misconception #3 – Social Media is Only Used for Advertising My Business.
Social media is a great tool to use for advertising your business, 20% of the time. In order to establish and maintain a presence on social media, you must have an online community. This means you have to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time people want to discover new things, become more useful with helpful tips and relive experiences. The other 20% of the time can be utilized to promote your business and focus on driving sales.
Now that we’ve broken down the most common misconceptions pertaining to social media, the virtual world is your oyster. Through the use of social media, you can engage with your target audience. Followers won’t convert into paying customers 100% of the time once you start building a social presence, but you are certainly more likely to develop more leads and close more sales than you currently are able to. So get off the sideline and throw your hat into the ring – because you have 2 billion eyes waiting to see what you can offer them!!